Generators

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
Virex

Post by Virex »

Though I can't quite remember where it was, someone mentioned energy generatrs as a possibly vital part of base desing. I have taken the liberty of expanding this concept, as following:

The vastness of space and it's lack of constricting gravity means that in space, structures can be many times larger then on the ground. One of the most important practical effects of this is that every station can support a functionall fusion generator. On a planets surface, this is highly impractical, firstly due to space and structure constraints, but secondly because structures don't need as much power to maintain a stable position when ships dock or to maintain a habitable presure.

The practical effect of this on Quantus is that structures no longer provide enough energy for the more advanced functions. This task has been taken over by a generator building or extension. Small portable fission-based generators can be installed to support a forward outpost, or large-scale fusion generators can be used to suport a fully fortified production facility. They provide energy for the teleporters, production facilities and internall defense systems of building, as well as the power needed for defensive emplacements and long-range scanners.

Any structure not attached to a generator can only provide basic vehicles and equipment. Also, relocating to and from such a structure takes more time, since the capacitor banks have to be loaded from an emergency generator with comperatively little output. Advanced vehicles, internall gun emplacements and advanced equipment can't be synthesised.

Portable generators can be carried by engineers or small vehicles and can be placed inside a building or attached to a gun emplacement to provide it with power. These generators are fragile and multiple generators are needed to fuell large buildings or things like teleporters and artillery emplacements (if we ever implement those).

Generator structures are far more resillient and cost-effective, but since they provide an entire base with energy, they are prime targets for enemy infiltrants and artillery.
Arson_Fire

Post by Arson_Fire »

I'm not sure I like the idea of putting more emphasis on base building.

I could see this being a faction dependant thing where one faction has to build a 'power generator' base in the vicinity of their techbase to gain access to adv tech (in addition to or instead of upgrading the techbase). Similar to the GT pali.
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

quite like the idea actually, but i think there would be a lot of people who wouldn't unfortunately...
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

I agree with Finn. Let's put it in our long-term goals to be discussed later. No use as of now.
XP105

Post by XP105 »

Aye, maybe this could be used in another core/game mode
wizlawz

Post by wizlawz »

i think if your going to be on a planet it would be necessary to exploit its resources much like exploiting the roids in Allegiance.

ships need fuel for the boost, so would the vehicles just get fuel the same way? i know you say the long-term ideas so here is one that may fit in with that: crafting ie: resources for ammo,armor,fuel,weapons,mining equipment, etc.(which is more time consuming than conquering ;) )

i know thats alot but i also know its not going into that kind of detail after all Quantus is not a "crafting" world, but it would be something to wear your Squads patch or Squad armor or Squad specific anything. :thumbsup:

just how complicated things can get and what is being stayed away from in the sense of resource exploitation and the "extras" on vehicles and buildings.
Pipe Dream
PLAY WELL, FIGHT HARD!!!!