Started Coding

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
sambasti

Post by sambasti »

`4 I finally started to figure you how the code works. Unfortunately, I am still not familiar with the commands. Currently, my only real complaint is that there are to many modules within modules withint more modules. Trying to find the place where a specific function is defined is a real pain.

Anyway, my current goal is to get a tank model (mine of course :P ) into the terrain. I wrote some code, but as expected, it didn't work.

BTW, we should meet on the #Quantus IRC channel. It is empty, and we can use it for communication.
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

im on there, good plan.

I understand completely what you mean about the modules issue, I have some plans to fix it a bit, but we still want the code separated well...
sono

Post by sono »

This thread amuses me a little.

Anyway, straight to the constructive part of my pots: Have you looked at the spring rts engine and what it can offer?

If you really want to get a game going this decade, that might be the best move. xD

You'd probably best start out with content creation on the spring engine, then you could work towards improving the FPS features already present in spring.

It's robust, solid, proven, modern, open, active, .... you've been messing around somewhere between homebrew and academic crap as far as i read this up to now. That's not going to go anywhere much, IMHO.

PS: Python is pretty neat and easy to learn. Most games nowadays, hwoever, are scripted with lua and are implemented in C++. This'll likely stay for a while simply because these languages are still the best suited ones. There is Java and C#, they're great and ok copied languages respectively, but they're not geared towards games. Performance is becoming less and less of an issue these days, but when it comes to numbercrunching they simply won't compete. (Think transformations to terrain, world physics etc).
QUOTE TurkeyXIII@ACE (all): when I realised how close I was I panicked and sprayed everywhere[/quote]
sambasti

Post by sambasti »

Umm, I dont know how to put this, but I think you are a bit late to the party. Actuall development has been quietly going on for months now, and although activity seems zero, there have been almost daily meetings on IRC. Quite a bit of code is already written. In fact, you can already walk around the environment. We never really planned on modding the engine. That was something Imperio was thinking about, but he has gone missing, so the Panda engine stays. About the homebrew/academic crap, its true, we aren't professionals, but the Panda engine is professional (even disney has used it before) and we are getting somewhere (even though we really haven't put up that much information on this forum). By the look of your post, you know a bit about development. Why dont you help us? We could really use the help of someone experienced.

PS This decade is over next year, so I guess none of us really expect to get done by then. :P
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

to add, the heavy number crunching stuff (like transformations) is done by the engine, which is written in c++.

there are obviously a few number crunching areas that i will need to implement myself, but im doing them in python for now, with c++ replacements planed for when the game is in alpha, depending on the performance issues i find.

that way, i only write python code for now, which means a quick implementation, hopefully offsetting our accademic/homebrew problem.

plus, the truth is, im not in any rush. Ill try my best to get it done quickly, but i wont cry if ive not finished it in 3 years time, im working on top of an engine that has practically garenteed future development, and appears to like automatic graphics features, so the longer i wait, the better the eventual game will look :D .
Last edited by finnbryant on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sono

Post by sono »

Unfortunately, i have very little experience with game development. Panda looks good at first glance, i didn't look at it in depth, if it has the features you require, it surely is a good choice, seeing how mature it is.

Have fun.
QUOTE TurkeyXIII@ACE (all): when I realised how close I was I panicked and sprayed everywhere[/quote]
Abhomination

Post by Abhomination »

How exactly do I get to the quantus IRC channel? I'm using the client in opera 9
badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

Tools
Mail and Chat accounts

BTW Opera 10 is out.
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image
Abhomination

Post by Abhomination »

EDIT: fixed it
Last edited by Abhomination on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.