Mini F3 Pane, you say?

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Makida

Post by Makida »

Weylin wrote:QUOTE (Weylin @ Jul 6 2009, 10:44 PM) Would it be difficult to create a signature calculator that takes your current signature, and an inputted value (don't know if that's possible) of what you *think* the targets scan range is, and for this script to draw a simple sphere around your ship in F3 view?
Maybe instead of calculating anything, you could get away with showing the uncertainty? I mean, you know what the basic scan range of different ship types is. All that's unknown, really, is whether the enemy has researched the Ship Sensors GA under sup. So, have the HUD show a band of "uncertainty" for how close you can get to the target without it detecting you. This band could in turn depend on whether (as far as your team knows) the enemy has a basic sup or an advanced sup, and thus whether they could theoretically have access to Sensor 1 or Sensor 2 as well. The "basic" scan range of the target would be based on the value in the core file, so you wouldn't have to input anything.

Though I think a circle that basically shows you "you can safely go here" is a bit too... easy? Maybe instead, have a HUD that simply shows the enemy ship's basic scan range, based on what's in the core file? Does the AndonHUD idea already include this? I can't remember. >_> (Or is it impossible/a bad idea to include for some reason? <_<)
Last edited by Makida on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andon

Post by Andon »

Pulling the "base" sensor range would be a pain and a half to do, and pulling the current sensor range of any other ship is a big no-no due to the "GA Detector" possibility. The only sensor information you can get is your own sensor range.
ImageImage
Zruty

Post by Zruty »

Andon wrote:QUOTE (Andon @ Jul 8 2009, 05:40 AM) Pulling the "base" sensor range would be a pain and a half to do, and pulling the current sensor range of any other ship is a big no-no due to the "GA Detector" possibility. The only sensor information you can get is your own sensor range.
I think he didn't mean the exact current sensor range, but the 'base' one, that's reachable with TEK: without GAs, only based on ship type and faction modifiers.

As for me, making the HUD more 'newbie-friendly' by adding more information on it isn't a bad thing.
Makida

Post by Makida »

Zruty wrote:QUOTE (Zruty @ Jul 8 2009, 07:23 AM) I think he didn't mean the exact current sensor range, but the 'base' one, that's reachable with TEK: without GAs, only based on ship type and faction modifiers.
That is what I meant; but I thought Andon meant that would be a pain to do, and showing the ship's current scan range would actually be easier? (But would allow you to know whether your enemy's bought the sensor GA, which seems a problem.)
Zruty

Post by Zruty »

girlyboy wrote:QUOTE (girlyboy @ Jul 8 2009, 04:25 PM) That is what I meant; but I thought Andon meant that would be a pain to do, and showing the ship's current scan range would actually be easier? (But would allow you to know whether your enemy's bought the sensor GA, which seems a problem.)
Hmm, I'm not familiar with the options available for the HUD author, but I thought peeking the core data shouldn't be that hard. Well, it's only me.
Andon

Post by Andon »

Peeking at core data would require code changes with code that I'm not familiar with. It's certainly possible, but it's not something I really feel like doing at this point.
ImageImage