Started Coding

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

i trace and edit all the models i take off the internet. when im done, they are usually stretched out in some way, and have been curved off more, plus other stuff when neccesary. I doubt the maker could spot the similarities on some of them

also, in the sketchup library, there is for some reason an entire section on futuristic mining machines! i can get a whole stash of miner models.
ImageImage
Andon

Post by Andon »

Finn Bryant wrote:QUOTE (Finn Bryant @ Jan 27 2009, 03:04 PM) I'm not sure I completely agree with that, thanks to the internet, we actually have the infrastructure built up that a single person (with enough know how) or team of people without the know how can actually make a game, but nobody does because its "unprofessional"? I get the point, and agree that making our own models to replace ones that don't really seem to fit within the game is good, but I think we should be using as much stuff thats pre-made as possible without having to actually change our game to make it work with their stuff. This work is going to be open source and the greatest benefit of open source is that you can pick and mix from everything thats ever been open source and we should take advantage of that.

btw: should this be gpl? since im allowing others to access and change the code, i guess this needs to be worked out as soon as possible. If we don't use anything that is from alleg we dont need to use their license right?
I'm not sure how you can do it - I'm not sure if using Microsoft IP (The alleg universe) would let you be open source. I'd talk to TE or one of the guys that would know about that (Talking to one of the original Alleg devs would be best, but they're hard to find) before doing anything official.

Also, we have plenty of model makers - I see no reason to use premade stuff that may not really fit what we want when we can make stuff fit exactly what we want.
Valiance wrote:QUOTE (Valiance @ Jan 27 2009, 04:03 PM) i trace and edit all the models i take off the internet. when im done, they are usually stretched out in some way, and have been curved off more, plus other stuff when neccesary. I doubt the maker could spot the similarities on some of them
A lot of the model licenses don't allow the model to be changed. Be sure to read through the license before hand
Last edited by Andon on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

Ive looked through all the privacy policies and terms and stuff, google basically says that unless specified in the description that you cant, you can use them for whatever you want, and that all models can be used for 3rd party "stuff", so long as none of the code to make sketchup is used.

Google also says that it holds no rights what so ever to any uploaded content
Last edited by Valiance on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

andon, i guess im arguing pointlessly here, if you guys make all the models needed, ill use them, so in the end my stand on using other models is irrelevent :)

MS/GPL: this is a IP issue, not a trademark issue, as long as we dont use MS code, we are not using there IP, therefore our code has no connection to them. They could get us for trademark infringement since we will probably end up using the word Allegiance at some point, but that is a minor issue that couldn't stop us using GPL, just stop us directly linking quantus to allegiance (not stopping us using the same storyline even, as long as we avoid using any words they made up, like gigacorp) and even that shouldn't be a problem i *think* but some heavy reading would be needed to confirm that. even if my understanding of IP is flakely and just using the Alleg universe breaks IP laws, then we can still GPL 99% of the code which doesn't even touch the alleg universe, and separating the rest into the core files, offering a GPL core that doesn't use alleg universe stuff at all (star wars core would be fine for example).
Last edited by finnbryant on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

does this mean we have to rename all the factions?
ImageImage
XP105

Post by XP105 »

Sounds like it, but im sure the Cookie Monster can make up some reason as to why they are changed (without using the normal names of the factions and not having cookies added into the names if possible please :D ) like its just some task force that got split off from the group and found the planet <-- awsome story skills :P
Last edited by XP105 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Well I have already named the taskforces that the factions have sent to the planet, we could just use that as the faction name if you really want, but to be honest I don't think Microsoft is gonna care as this is a small scale non-commercial profit, besides we don't have to rename the player made factions.

I did write some faction intro's Finn but then the blog system messed up and it's a pain in the backside, but the stories are also on the Alleg Academy udner fanfiction (if you want to see them in a more organised format).
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

I have exported a model onto google earth 4, so it is a .kmz file, and it has come up with a screen saying succesfully exported to collada; should i send it to you or just keep it?
ImageImage
XP105

Post by XP105 »

keep it & wait until he is ready to start using models?
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

im pretty sure that renaming the factions won't be necessary, I was just giving a worst case. Since this is within the allegiance community, im pretty sure they will

val, if you get set up with a dropbox account (then pm me the email you used), you can stick them in directly (as long as they arnt too big, i dont want the whole 2gb of the dropbox used up!), but if you dont want to, just email them to me at
<my forum name (no space)>@googlemail.com and ill do that for you.

just added a readme on the dropbox, just trying to make sure Quantus is safe from evil people
Last edited by finnbryant on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.