Event sounds

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance music, soundfiles, chatpacks, and other audio-related content.
zecro

Post by zecro »

How do I know which events have sounds associated with them?

For example, docking has a sound associated with it. Aside from asking you guys (or using the search function) how do I figure out which ogg or wav it is?

Furthermore, what things have the possibility to be assigned sounds that do not have it enabled by default? For example, station upgrades. Are all station upgrade events treated the same? Is there a way to make Allegiance play one sound when a sup is upgraded and another sound when a tac is upgraded? Palisade cons have their own "under attack" message, does this mean all cons have the possibility to have an individual "under attack" message? Do cons have other messages?

That's a lot of possible information that has the possibility to be delivered, but is not.
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

If your Sup con is being attacked, it will say "Supremacy centre constructor under attack", likewise with other cons. Same with stations being attacked or captured.

I'm not sure what the docking sound is but in ICE, there's a sound panel for each station for different things like "attacked" and "captured"...but they're numbers. I'm sure someone will explain more!
juckto

Post by juckto »

how do I figure out which ogg or wav it is?[/quote]
Playing each ogg in your artwork directory?
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

The station upgrade sounds are changeable in ICE. Each devel has a sound associated with it's completion, which is usually one of about 4 different sounds but more could be added for a different core.

Most (or all) of the core-defined sounds refer to sounddef.mdl, which also defines a whole lot of other noises.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
Andon

Post by Andon »

Open up your favorite brand of alcohol and take a few drinks(Trust me, you'll need it. I survive through insanity, but not everyone is like me).

Now, open up sounddef.mdl. They're not too badly named, IE just look for "Upgrade" for all upgrades ("Station Upgrade" won't work as they don't have spaces in them at all). Search for what you find, and follow the trail back to something like this:

Code: Select all

changeLoadoutSound          = GainSound(SFXGain, ImportWave("loadoutship"));

The name in quotes (In this case, "loadoutship") is the file (either loadoutship.wav or loadoutship.ogg).

The problem comes from the sounds being renamed at practically every step.

For example, if you wanted to find the sound used by a cloak going from ICE, you'd find the proper number (IE activation sound or whatever), and then look that up in sounddef.mdl.

You might be looking for sound 640. You would first find this:

(640, cloak1OnSound),

Then you would search (up) for 'cloak1OnSound' and that would take you to this:

cloak1OnSound               = GainSound(SFXGain, ThreeDSound(30, ImportWave("cloakOn")));

It's worse when you're doing voicechats though, trust me.
ImageImage
zecro

Post by zecro »

Alright, great! I might have a go at this during spring break.

What are the files I can change without being unable to connect to the main server? That is, I can change values in sounddef.mdl and add new wav/ogg files to the artwork folder, but what if I change values in ICE?
badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

Core files are guaranteed to be protected by ASGS.
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image