Go to Forum Home

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Call to arms AKA what needs to be done., Let's not waste our golden ticket, Read and see how you can help.
Senor NoirSol
post Jul 29 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Blake420's husband
Group Icon

Group: Admin

Squad: XenoTech

Hey Folks

The license change has been a stroke of luck. Our biggest hurdle against Allegiance's publication on steam, has been removed.

However we cannot publish Allegiance in this current state. there are long-standing issues with the engine and our own internal framework.

If we are to acquire and retain a playerbase on Steam we have to modify our community to be more friendly and helpful to the potential influx of new players.

Overall however our one and only goal, is to fix Allegiance's framework, in order to one day release on steam (and other platform)

To that end i'd like to create different teams that will each tackle and fix different issues within Allegiance.

Team 1: Programming
----------------------------------------------------
Team leader: Backtrack (i'd like to see KJGV PKK and Wasp as members too).

This team has the biggest and most difficult job which is the fixing of long-standing bugs

Overall we require the following:

1) A unified codebase:
At the moment our current code is based on a fork of a fork, and Allegiance's code is split among many github repos so we need to clean the mess up.

https://github.com/FreeAllegiance/Allegiance <----- This is our ONLY OFFICIAL CODEBASE

@KJGV please backport your code and issue list into the above repo^

1.1) Moreover we need a list of issues that we are going to fix.

The most crucial software issues imho, are the following:

-DX9 latency and lag issues
- Joystick input lag (more on that below).
- Screen Size revamp ( The goal is keep the screen always at the same size aka no more 800x600 when not flying.)

We also require
2) A pool of testers to checkout each beta bulid. Please be mindful that this is a a time consuming effort but your help is very appreciated. (This will require knowing how to reproduce a bug, reporting it to the dev team, and following their directions during a beta test.

If you qualify refer to me or Backtrack, for application.

3) Wasp has done an incredible job in researching the issue that has been plaguing us since R5.
More info on that here. ----> https://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index...amp;hl=joystick

With that in mind I wish to create a subgroup dedicated to just that issue, and have Wasp lead that group.

If you are affected by what Wasp describes or you just want to help please refer to him and organize tests and report your findings to the dev team.

Joystick bug staff:
Wasp, Blacksun

-----------------

TEAM 2
-----------------

Cadet restructuring

Leader: Psychosis
Admin help: Blacksun
Advisors: P1, Ryujin (available sporadically until December)

This Team's goal is to rewrite the cadet course while taking into account the potential influx of players that we will receive.

I recommend shooting training videos to supplement the available material.

Participation by current and past SL is welcome.

If interested PM me or Psychosis.

Team 3 Marketing
-----------------------------------------

Leaders: Blacksun, Deathrender

The goal of this team is to hype the game and create marketing material, as we release it on steam.

Efforts will include video production, articles social media postings and reaching out to the media AFTER we are ready to release.

If interested PM me or Deathrender

-----------------------------------------------

We need EVERYONE'S HELP, So choose your team and help out.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fishbone
post Jul 29 2017, 11:00 AM
Post #2

fishbone
Group Icon

Group: Supporter+

QUOTE (Senor NoirSol @ Jul 29 2017, 10:43 AM) *
Hey Folks

The license change has been a stroke of luck. Our biggest hurdle against Allegiance's publication on steam, has been removed.

However we cannot publish Allegiance in this current state. there are long-standing issues with the engine and our own internal framework.

If we are to acquire and retain a playerbase on Steam we have to modify our community to be more friendly and helpful to the potential influx of new players.

Overall however our one and only goal, is to fix Allegiance's framework, in order to one day release on steam (and other platform)

To that end i'd like to create different teams that will each tackle and fix different issues within Allegiance.

Team 1: Programming
----------------------------------------------------
Team leader: Backtrack (i'd like to see KJGV PKK and Wasp as members too).

This team has the biggest and most difficult job which is the fixing of long-standing bugs

Overall we require the following:

1) A unified codebase:
At the moment our current code is based on a fork of a fork, and Allegiance's code is split among many github repos so we need to clean the mess up.

https://github.com/FreeAllegiance/Allegiance <----- This is our ONLY OFFICIAL CODEBASE

@KJGV please backport your code and issue list into the above repo^

1.1) Moreover we need a list of issues that we are going to fix.

The most crucial software issues imho, are the following:

-DX9 latency and lag issues
- Joystick input lag (more on that below).
- Screen Size revamp ( The goal is keep the screen always at the same size aka no more 800x600 when not flying.)

We also require
2) A pool of testers to checkout each beta bulid. Please be mindful that this is a a time consuming effort but your help is very appreciated. (This will require knowing how to reproduce a bug, reporting it to the dev team, and following their directions during a beta test.

If you qualify refer to me or Backtrack, for application.

3) Wasp has done an incredible job in researching the issue that has been plaguing us since R5.
More info on that here. ----> https://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index...amp;hl=joystick

With that in mind I wish to create a subgroup dedicated to just that issue, and have Wasp lead that group.

If you are affected by what Wasp describes or you just want to help please refer to him and organize tests and report your findings to the dev team.

Joystick bug staff:
Wasp, Blacksun

-----------------

TEAM 2
-----------------

Cadet restructuring

Leader: Psychosis
Admin help: Blacksun
Advisors: P1, Ryujin (available sporadically until December)

This Team's goal is to rewrite the cadet course while taking into account the potential influx of players that we will receive.

I recommend shooting training videos to supplement the available material.

Participation by current and past SL is welcome.

If interested PM me or Psychosis.

Team 3 Marketing
-----------------------------------------

Leaders: Blacksun, Deathrender

The goal of this team is to hype the game and create marketing material, as we release it on steam.

Efforts will include video production, articles social media postings and reaching out to the media AFTER we are ready to release.

If interested PM me or Deathrender

-----------------------------------------------

We need EVERYONE'S HELP, So choose your team and help out.

For 1.1 has this been addressed: High Res Textures are default?

I think the days of "Well not everyone's pc can handle the high res stuff" is over. We are launching on STEAM
1) Everyone's a gamer so this is not an issue.
2) If you launch a game with 8-bit graphics NOBODY will play it - even if it's free.

If this has already been addressed then please forgive my ignorance (I've been away for a while).

Good Job, BlackSun. You are doing a great job of rallying the troops!

I will volunteer to help Psychosis in any capacity. I want to caveat that with I sucked when I played and I have forgotten everything since so I am noob - seriously. However, no better way to lean than to dig through the material. I also plan to take cadet again in the first offering under steam. I can then provide feedback to Psychosis on what worked and what may have been lacking or confusing given I understand the game somewhat. Sort of an internal audit of the program.

"What if, star sailor, I were to come over your house and punch you in the $#@!ing face?!
Will that finally get you to shut the hell up?!?" -- neotoxin

+Quote Post
Senor NoirSol
post Jul 29 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #3

Blake420's husband
Group Icon

QUOTE (fishbone @ Jul 29 2017, 06:00 PM) *
For 1.1 has this been addressed: High Res Textures are default?

I think the days of "Well not everyone's pc can handle the high res stuff" is over. We are launching on STEAM
1) Everyone's a gamer so this is not an issue.
2) If you launch a game with 8-bit graphics NOBODY will play it - even if it's free.

If this has already been addressed then please forgive my ignorance (I've been away for a while).

Good Job, BlackSun. You are doing a great job of rallying the troops!

I will volunteer to help Psychosis in any capacity. I want to caveat that with I sucked when I played and I have forgotten everything since so I am noob - seriously. However, no better way to lean than to dig through the material. I also plan to take cadet again in the first offering under steam. I can then provide feedback to Psychosis on what worked and what may have been lacking or confusing given I understand the game somewhat. Sort of an internal audit of the program.

The high res textures is something that I will address with BT.

Report to psyc via PM

+Quote Post
fishbone
post Jul 29 2017, 11:16 AM
Post #4

fishbone
Group Icon

QUOTE (Senor NoirSol @ Jul 29 2017, 11:07 AM) *
Report to psyc via PM

Roger.

"What if, star sailor, I were to come over your house and punch you in the $#@!ing face?!

+Quote Post
Wasp
post Jul 29 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #5

Group: Community Member

QUOTE (Senor NoirSol @ Jul 29 2017, 11:43 AM) *
...3) Wasp has done an incredible job in researching the issue that has been plaguing us since R5.

Joystick bug staff:
Wasp, Blacksun

I wish to resign immediately. This is not a joystick issue and your constant referral to it as being so demonstrates you have no understanding of what is broken (no offense intended).

Dx9 is the problem! Dx7 needs ported forward.

+Quote Post
fishbone
post Jul 29 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #6

fishbone
Group Icon

QUOTE (Wasp @ Jul 29 2017, 11:17 AM) *
I wish to resign immediately. This is not a joystick issue and your constant referral to it as being so demonstrates you have no understanding of what is broken (no offense intended).

Dx9 is the problem! Dx7 needs ported forward.

Wasp...you need to settle down. Don't you see BlackSun is trying to INCLUDE you in the process? If you don't want to help that's fine. If you do, grow up and try to be constructive instead of this constant vitriol that keeps poring out of you pie hole.

+Quote Post
Wasp
post Jul 29 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (fishbone @ Jul 29 2017, 12:32 PM) *
...If you don't want to help that's fine. If you do, grow up and try to be constructive instead of this constant vitriol that keeps poring out of you pie hole.

I'd love to help, however, there is no avenue for me to provide help.

I am not savvy enough on GitHub to port Dx7 forward.

+Quote Post
Guest_fuzzylunkin1_*
post Jul 29 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (Wasp @ Jul 29 2017, 11:17 AM) *
Dx7 needs ported forward.

This seems utterly preposterous. Surely there is a better solution than "use Dx7". Don't we want people to want to play the game?

We have so many more options with the code under the MIT license.

+Quote Post
Wasp
post Jul 29 2017, 12:00 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (fuzzylunkin1 @ Jul 29 2017, 12:47 PM) *
This seems utterly preposterous. Surely there is a better solution than "use Dx7". Don't we want people to want to play the game?

We have so many more options with the code under the MIT license.

Having options doesn't equate to having resources.

Porting Dx7 forward IS feasible AND puts back in place what Dx9 broke AND will not require a re-write of everything. Having ships stuttering/jumping around in front of you while your inputs are uncontrollable, is what's preposterous.

+Quote Post
Senor NoirSol
post Jul 29 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #10

Blake420's husband
Group Icon

QUOTE (Wasp @ Jul 29 2017, 07:00 PM) *

Porting Dx7 forward IS feasible AND puts back in place what Dx9 broke AND will not require a re-write of everything. Having ships stuttering/jumping around in front of you while your inputs are uncontrollable, is what's preposterous.

Very well, is there such a person?

(iž'd still would like to include you, given you know the problem better than most of us.)

Can you point me to someone knowledgeable enough, that can fix it?

+Quote Post
Wasp
post Jul 29 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Senor NoirSol @ Jul 29 2017, 01:05 PM) *
Very well, is there such a person?

(iž'd still would like to include you, given you know the problem better than most of us.)

Can you point me to someone knowledgeable enough, that can fix it?

Yes, I can point you to them, however;

The question you should be asking is: "Can I provide the necessary resources and support so as to make this effort worth the time of a volunteer?"

Imago could probably do this on a weekend with a hangover.
KGJV could probably do this if you just handed him the keys to everything.
BT could probably do this, but damn man, he's doing and has already done so much, ya hate to ask it of him.
Or outsource it.

This post has been edited by Wasp: Jul 29 2017, 12:22 PM

+Quote Post
Senor NoirSol
post Jul 29 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #12

Blake420's husband
Group Icon

QUOTE (Wasp @ Jul 29 2017, 07:17 PM) *
Yes, I could.

The question you should be asking is: "Can I provide the necessary resources and support so as to make this effort worth the time of a volunteer?"

Imago could probably do this on a weekend with a hangover.
KGJV could probably do this if you just handed him the keys to everything.
BT could probably do this, but damn man, he's doing and has already done so much, ya hate to ask it of him.
Or outsource it.

BT is willing to do it.

he needs help on this issue and i can't think of anyone more knowledgeable of the problem than you.

Hell the more devs we have on board the better.

+Quote Post
Wasp
post Jul 29 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Senor NoirSol @ Jul 29 2017, 01:19 PM) *
BT is willing to do it.

he needs help on this issue and i can't think of anyone more knowledgeable of the problem than you.

Hell the more devs we have on board the better.

Any dev is far more knowledgeable about this than I.

I am more than willing to give whatever time is necessary,.. if it'll help.

btw, I still think I'm lacking access to the dev forum.

BT, you da man!

EDIT: Blacksun, did BT specifically say he'd port forward Dx7?.. or are you speaking on his behalf?

This post has been edited by Wasp: Jul 29 2017, 12:31 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_fuzzylunkin1_*
post Jul 29 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (Wasp @ Jul 29 2017, 12:00 PM) *

What is the long-term solution? Where is Imago?

+Quote Post
Senor NoirSol
post Jul 29 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #15

Blake420's husband
Group Icon

QUOTE (Wasp @ Jul 29 2017, 07:28 PM) *
EDIT: Blacksun, did BT specifically say he'd port forward Dx7?.. or are you speaking on his behalf?

He said he was willing to tackle the issue, on how it's up to you both.

That is why I want you to work alongside him and provide him the info that he needs.

I am willing to have Kage on board if he wishes.

+Quote Post
Wasp
post Jul 29 2017, 12:48 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (fuzzylunkin1 @ Jul 29 2017, 01:40 PM) *
What is the long-term solution? Where is Imago?

Imago plays on Sunday's, sometimes.

Long term should be "Allegiance2" imo. The game concept is the real asset here.

Now that you can "sell", you can make it "sell-able" by grabbing the concept and putting it into new code that is worthy to purchase.

For now, put a good working version of the game out there with tolerable graphics and defaults,...then begin the groundwork to do a complete re-write as the devs have discussed many times already.

+Quote Post
Guest_fuzzylunkin1_*
post Jul 29 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #17

Guests

I'll work on trying to get the codebase building in a VM this weekend. Will try to help where I can but also want to focus on Linux compatibility.

+Quote Post
Wasp
post Jul 29 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #18

BT is willing to do it.

QUOTE ( @ Jul 29 2017, 01:47 PM) *
He said he was willing to tackle the issue, on how it's up to you both.

SO, BT didn't say he'd port Dx7 forward. Very misleading of you.

+Quote Post
Thallium
post Jul 29 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #19

Squad: Element

i'd like to help. what can I do? I could twitch stream the development :-)

This post has been edited by Thallium: Jul 29 2017, 01:04 PM

+Quote Post
Senor NoirSol
post Jul 29 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #20

Blake420's husband
Group Icon

QUOTE (Wasp @ Jul 29 2017, 07:56 PM) *
SO, BT didn't say he'd port Dx7 forward. Very misleading of you.

He was working on something similar two years ago, port dx7 forward would be a continuation of that.
Stop being so defensive.
AGAIN I WANT YOU TO WORK ALONGSIDE HIM ON THIS DX7 ISSUE.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 09:44 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft