Cort's Constructs

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

ASGS Google Gadget v1.0

Posted by Cort, Oct 3 2007, 09:50 AM in Tools

Ozricosis Random Software Requests
presents
The ASGS Google Gadget v1.0
Now with improved layout and proper caching.

Google Gadgets (Java devs might know the concept as 'Portlets') are small Javascript applications for Google's portal, called iGoogle. This Google Gadget shows a list of all players currently logged into ASGS. Most of the code isn't my work, the whole GUI is a subset of Squire's Advanced ASGS Online List [thread] Greasemonkey userscript (branched from version 0.81).

Therefore, just as the Advanced ASGS Online List, the ASGS Google Gadget might rely on special Firefox features and/or just contain bad Javascript code (the library part Squire has *not* written) that only works in Firefox. I made a quick test in Opera: it doesn't show anything, but doesn't report any Javascript errors either. *shrugs*

To use it, just click this link click the big colourful button there and you're set. I think you need a Google account to have it permanently on your iGoogle page.

-- Cort

PS: You don't have to care at all, but here's what the info text at the bottom means:
"Last cache update from ASGS", the local time on the cache server when it syncronised with ASGS. This time is not necessarily in sync with your time!
"Age of cache at last Gadget data update", how old the data was at the time your Gadget talked to the cache server. This value can only change when your Gadget is talking to the cache server, of course.
"Time until next Gadget data update from the cache", a countdown until the next time your Gadget asks for an update from the cache server.

Comments

Ozricosis, Oct 8 2007, 08:02 PM

Holy crap! That's AWESOME!!!

*kneels before Cort*

I'm not worthy.

apathos, Oct 12 2007, 12:58 AM

Cort, this sure looks sharp! Very nice format.

Would this be difficult to make available for netvibes? I know nothing about programming, but this seems to me like something that would be possible.

I just don't use iGoogle much! But I'm still impressed!

(Edit: messed up link)

This post has been edited by apathos: Oct 12 2007, 12:59 AM

Cort, Oct 12 2007, 01:04 AM

QUOTE(apathos @ Oct 12 2007, 07:58 AM)
Cort, this sure looks sharp! Very nice format.

Remember, not my work. That's all Squire's.

QUOTE(apathos @ Oct 12 2007, 07:58 AM)
Would this be difficult to make available for netvibes? I know nothing about programming, but this seems to me like something that would be possible.

I'll have a look at it next week, but I'm not going to put a lot of time into it, sorry.

-- Cort

Cort, Oct 20 2007, 09:59 AM

I had a quick look at the Netvibes documentation. Their UWA (Universal Widget API) idea sounds interesting. Maybe by converting the widget/gadget to UWA, I could have one codebase for both iGoogle and Netvibes (and others).

Because this isn't a primary project for me and because my time is limited right now anyway, I'll wait for UWA to go final first, though. I'll have a look at the Netvibes site every once in while, but maybe you could drop me a note when UWA 1.0 is out, apathos?

-- Cort

the_dare, Oct 21 2007, 10:55 AM

keeps coming up with:
Gadget waiting for update response.

and not showing player list!

Cort, Oct 21 2007, 12:06 PM

QUOTE(the_dare @ Oct 21 2007, 05:55 PM)
keeps coming up with:
Gadget waiting for update response.

and not showing player list!

Fixed it for now. I know what caused the problem, but I'm not sure what caused the cause. Will have to have an eye on it.

-- Cort

PS: There still seems to be an issue with updating, but I probably won't be able to look into it during the next week.

This post has been edited by Cortex: Oct 21 2007, 12:09 PM

Eris, Oct 21 2007, 01:42 PM

Does not function with Opera best I can tell :(

ImmortalZ, Oct 24 2007, 09:54 AM

Firefox specific libs :/

Ozricosis, Nov 25 2007, 06:32 PM

Still busted. Oh well. It was very cool! smile.gif

Cort, Nov 26 2007, 02:34 PM

QUOTE(Ozricosis @ Nov 26 2007, 12:32 AM)
Still busted. Oh well. It was very cool! smile.gif

I'll look into it when I'm through with all the other stuff. Might take a while (think: weeks), but it's on the list.

-- Cort

« Next Oldest · Cort's Constructs · Next Newest »