POOK'S EVIL LAIR

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

A Decade Later...

Posted by Pook, Jan 15 2017, 06:34 PM

I thought I'd check in. blush.gif

It's good to see that Allegiance is still around. Even if it's not what it once was, I see bits of the "old guard" still posting on the forums, and it looks like there are still adventures to be had.

It's been almost 10 years now since I semi-retired back in 2007, and that's 17 years since I was "+Raider@Alleg" back on the MSN Gaming Zone (which is apparently still a thing, sort of). It's hard to believe anything would have this sort of sticking power, especially for what was essentially a commercial failure that had it's plug pulled 2 years in. The fact that you guys are still here says a lot about the game and even more about the community. My bicorne is off to all of you.

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted, but to be honest I'm not sure I've had much to say anyway. Not sure what pulls me back to you guys, and I'm not sure if I'll play (after all, the ol' cloak the bios scout and drop the prox in front of the charging bomber couldn't possibly still work, could it?), but I did at least want to wish you all well.

While I was here, I fixed my avatar - as it looked like the forums needed a wee bit more Lima. mrgreen.gif

With Warm Regards,
Pook

PS: While no means exhaustive, I thought I'd share a little history / nostalgia with the group. Some banners from the old days.

Two Years and Counting

Posted by Pook, Aug 31 2009, 11:18 PM

I had a little work to do today for TE, so I thought I'd stop and say "Hello".

It's been more than two years now since I retired, and while not much has changed I think that's mostly a good thing. I can't help but think all the times I heard "Allegiance is dead / dying" only to see it continue thanks to the efforts of this community.

Hope life's treating you all well, I look forward to coming back in another year and posting my "Three Years" blog post. smile.gif

xoxo,
Pook

Blog Update

Posted by Pook, Mar 8 2009, 09:10 AM

Hi All,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to it - but the blog skin is mostly (partially?) fixed. I'm sure there are parts that could be better and a few details missed here and there, but my goal was to get it usable until I have time to devote to it.

Hope everyone's having a good year - I just realized that it's been almost a year since my last blog post. Perhaps I should just make this an annual address or something. wink.gif

xoxo,

Pook

UPDATE: I found the bit of CSS making all the lists go black - I think in reality what's happening is that the board's templates aren't correctly closing a tag somewhere... updating the "wrapper" table to use white text fixed the issue.

The more things change...

Posted by Pook, Mar 26 2008, 08:50 PM

You know the saying. It's funny how things never change.

I heard from a friend while playing another game that the April Fool's prank that TE and company were planning had gone awry... I thought I'd come and read up a bit. Needless to say, it was mostly the same talk from the same people. Heck, I've been mostly invisible for going on a year now and people still took their opportunity to take a shot at me while ranting. mrgreen.gif

Some of the things I heard I found particularly distasteful:

- First and foremost, no amount of money has ever been donated that could ever put Thal "in the black". To suggest otherwise is a giant middle finger pointed at the guy who's footed the bill for several years now, all so that the players can continue to enjoy the game.

- Speaking of the players, I read a few folks who think that they've got more invested in the community than "just about anyone". These folks don't really do anything for the community, they just play. Well, as much as a game needs players, to suggest that leeching off of the community for all these years makes you somehow "invested" or to have something "at stake" is pretty laughable. On the other hand, to all the guys working on the Dev team, all the zone leads, the helpline staff, and all the folks that "give back" - nice job.

- I'm also apparently responsible for "scarring" the community. Well, sorry about that. I didn't realize you were so emotionally fragile a bunch.... lol. Seriously though, I think that if you took the number of hours I spent "administrating" vs. the number of times I $#@!ed up, I had a pretty good ratio going. For those that don't think so - I suggest you step up and try working an unpaid second job for 5-6 years, then we can revisit the topic. wink.gif

Anyway, that's all I really care to ponder on the subject. There's more I could respond to, but hey - there's always more. "8 years of drama" I saw on the home page - man whoever came up with that one should win a prize.

xoxo,
Pook

Pook Who?

Posted by Pook, Oct 19 2007, 02:29 PM

Hi everyone.

Just thought I'd poke my nose in to say hello. I (finally and after a little nagging) delivered some new ASGS bits to Tiger yesterday to allow the updater to work for beta components, we chatted a bit, and I realized how long it's been so I thought I'd post a quick update.

The new ASGS Update, which you may not actually see for awhile, is something you mostly won't care about at all. The difference is that now when you're helping to beta test and you're told a file doesn't match - it can repair it. No more hunting for updaters or downloads.

Have Fun,
Pook

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   

Big Avatar

IPB Image

Who's Angry at Pook

Number of people
I've pissed off today

IPB Image
Idiots pissed off