Go to Forum Home

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You Suck at Allegiance, A tongue-in-cheek training guide, for newbs and voobs alike
ImmortalZ
post Apr 13 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #21

Evil Hacker ex-Admin
Group Icon

Group: Supporter+

Squad: Palidor's Knights

May I suggest a 45 degree angle with boost bursts to keep at the miner instead of doing the 90 then the repositioning? Of course, if you have armed defense up against you, you should be boost-orbiting anyway.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CronoDroid
post Apr 13 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #22

Patty Rider

Group: Community Member

Squad: Steel Fury

Almost got Rick Roll'd.

06/25/09 18:59:21: Nuke@SysX (Team Lobby): ur the most arrogant person on the planet

+Quote Post
Gezzunder
post Apr 13 2008, 08:30 AM
Post #23

Group Icon

Squad: SPQR

arrrghhh

rolled!

Expert Pod Pilot and Damage Magnet, padding KB's in a sector near you

+Quote Post
juckto
post Apr 28 2008, 05:54 AM
Post #24

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Squad: Punch Kittens

Lesson Six - Stay on target

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. You've got no freaking clue what's going on, you just run after the closest enemy while miners, cons, and bombers drive right on by. If you ever opened up the Game Controls menu and actually looked, you might discover that there's a gazillion things you can set keys to target.

The most important keys on your keyboard are: Target Bomber, Target Miner, Target Constructor, and Target Base.

That's four right there, but I'm lying. It's 8 - cause you see, you've got to be able to target enemies and friendlies.

Then you need to be able to target people in a dogfight - so you'll be wanting Target Centre and Target Nearest Enemy. And to round it all off you'll be wanting Target Aleph and Target Lifepod.

Maybe then, maybe, you'll gain perhaps an inkling of situational awareness. For the sector you're currently in, at least. Which will probably be the wrong one, cause you suck.

And because no You Suck presentation would be complete without a picture, here's a picture of my keyboard layout. Go forth and ogle at my confusing system. (The left and right were planned, the rest wasn't.)

This post has been edited by juckto: Apr 28 2008, 05:56 AM

Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.

+Quote Post
badp
post Apr 28 2008, 07:01 AM
Post #25

Group Icon

AHK wub.gif

Wild guesses at key sequences required:

Goto Me: [TAB][Ctrl-G]YourNickGoesHere[ENTER]
Goto Garrison: [TAB][Ctrl-G]Garrison[ENTER]
Cloak: [Ctrl-8][Ctrl-7]K //can't find unload shields on Jukto's image //should work to decloak too
Ripcord: [ENTER]YourNickGoesHere[TAB][Ctrl-G] // maybe complete with a base, e.g., Garrison[ENTER]
Chat to wing: [ENTER][TAB][TAB] // Use again to switch back to team chat

Have gaming questions? Get expert answers!

+Quote Post
madpeople
post Apr 28 2008, 07:40 AM
Post #26

i have a title
Group Icon

Squad: GB

actually, cloak and ripcord will just be re-bindings using ahk, not a macro.

because ahk can tell numpad enter from normal enter, where as allegiance sees them as the same key. so he simply has ahk send some unusual key whenever he presses numpad enter.

i actually like that idea, i do keep hitting rip when i want to cloak (j for rip, k for cloak), i might copy that.

i was going to comment that you can't target bombers without taking your hand off the flight controls.

p.s. are you left handed juckto? (use mouse in left hand, keyboard in right?) or do you just have your keyboard pushed over to the left. othewise you would have your arms in a funny diagonal position when flying with that config.

+Quote Post
Sushi
post Apr 28 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #27

My targeting keys (At least the ones I use wink.gif):

Shift-T: target center
H: target nearest enemy
Shift-H: target nearest hostile
I: target aleph
J: target pod
F: target friendly
shift-F: target nearest friendly base
; and ': target friendly/enemy miner
shift ; and shift ': target friendly/enemy constructor
ctrl ; and ctrl ': target friendly/enemy bomber
alt ; and alt ': target friendly/enemy base

Works well. I'm especially proud of the last four lines: all that targeting packed into two keys!

+Quote Post
juckto
post May 21 2008, 02:17 AM
Post #28

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Lesson Seven - The most important button

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. I realise all this talk about sucking and buttons is probably getting you all hot and bothered but no, I'm not talking about the clitoris. The most important button (in Allegiance at least) is Toggle Mouse Control. Me, I've got it bound to my spacebar so I can't miss it with my big, GIANT, unavoidable hand.

Have you ever seen one of these before? It's called a mini-map. It has all the information about the current game situation contained within it, and you need to be checking it all the time. Don't just look at the pretty team colours, and wait for the giant flashing spots when an enemy bbr is spotted. You need to disengage the mouse, move your cursor over the sectors and LOOK at what is inside.

Enemy dot appears in an uncontested sector? Better check and see if it's a con - if it is you better head over there and kill it. Friendly dot appears in your sector? Better check if it's a bbr and if it needs nans. Several enemy dots appear next to your mining sector? Better check to see if it's an int/fig party come to rape them all, if it is you better pray someone on your team is ready to d them. No idea where your mining sector is? She-eet boy, have you even learned that keeping your miners alive is the fast-track to getting better tech than the enemy? Now goddam learn where your miners are, and start $#@!ing defending them!

Being able to quickly anaylse the minimap is key to acheiving that oft praised pinnacle of vet-ness: "Situational awareness". Anytime you don't need to control your ship - when you're in a pod, scouting, flying back to base, in a pod, ripcording, in a pod (I expect you spend a lot of time in a pod) - you should be reading the minimap, and thinking about what it means.

One last thing, you'll be needing this.

This post has been edited by juckto: Apr 6 2010, 03:29 AM
Reason for edit: updated link

Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.

+Quote Post
theTroy
post May 21 2008, 02:51 AM
Post #29

Always used F5 or F3, gives both a view of whats going on in sector and releases you mouse allowing you to hover over other sectors, never needed toggle mouse as a separate button really. If you are in a fight, you will not have time for either of those.

Thank you parci :)

+Quote Post
madpeople
post May 21 2008, 04:58 AM
Post #30

i have a title
Group Icon

Squad: GB

QUOTE (juckto @ May 21 2008, 08:17 AM) *
Lesson Seven - The most important button

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. I realise all this talk about sucking and buttons is probably getting you all hot and bothered but no, I'm not talking about the clitoris. The most important button (in Allegiance at least) is Toggle Mouse Control. Me, I've got it bound to my spacebar so I can't miss it with my big, GIANT, unavoidable hand.

Have you ever seen one of these before? It's called a mini-map. It has all the information about the current game situation contained within it, and you need to be checking it all the time. Don't just look at the pretty team colours, and wait for the giant flashing spots when an enemy bbr is spotted. You need to disengage the mouse, move your cursor over the sectors and LOOK at what is inside.

Enemy dot appears in an uncontested sector? Better check and see if it's a con - if it is you better head over there and kill it. Friendly dot appears in your sector? Better check if it's a bbr and if it needs nans. Several enemy dots appear next to your mining sector? Better check to see if it's an int/fig party come to rape them all, if it is you better pray someone on your team is ready to d them. No idea where your mining sector is? She-eet boy, have you even learned that keeping your miners alive is the fast-track to getting better tech than the enemy? Now goddam learn where your miners are, and start $#@!ing defending them!

Being able to quickly anaylse the minimap is key to acheiving that oft praised pinnacle of vet-ness: "Situational awareness". Anytime you don't need to control your ship - when you're in a pod, scouting, flying back to base, in a pod, ripcording, in a pod (I expect you spend a lot of time in a pod) - you should be reading the minimap, and thinking about what it means.

One last thing, you'll be needing this.

you forgot the part about if you do spot an enemy con in a sector on the mini map, press f6, select the ENEMY team and see what kind of con it is so you can work out what sector it is probably heading to if it is not obvious.

+Quote Post
Adept
post May 28 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #31

@HELPer monkey

Squad: Rolling Thunder

One of the reasons I'm happy I fly with a stick (and am used to a left-handed mouse). No need to engage-disengage mouse for the stick-pilots.

Actually I hadn't realised that people wouldn't be spending half the time messing with the minimap because of mouse control. Live and learn. Good stuff, as always.

<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept

+Quote Post
juckto
post May 30 2008, 05:53 AM
Post #32

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Lesson 8 - STFU

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. Today we're gonna do something pretty advanced. I realise this may be jumping ahead a bit much for many of you, but ... well, frankly I'm sick of you talking to me. Allegiance is not your $#@!ing blog, and I don't care if the depths of a British coal mine isn't as dark as your soul. Most of all, I'm sick of you broadcasting Voice Chats to the entire team when you really, really, don't need to so today I'm going to show you how to shut up.

You may know how to "Private message" a single person by using the tab key. And you may know that afterwards, you have to cycle back to "Team chat" to talk to everyone else. That really sucks, but don't worry - my version of "private message" has a happy ending!

Which VC am I talking about? There's two above all others that get spammed all the time, and for no good reason. In fact, because they get spammed so much they get ignored all the more! The only person you need to send wither of these VC to is the ship you're flying towards. Not me. Not when I'm 5 sectors away trying to nan a miner.
  1. Point your ship at the person you want to talk to (Advanced users can skip this step). There is almost no reason to ever send these PM to someone in a different sector.
  2. Disengage mouse control (oh look, the most important button has another use!)
  3. Drag a box around the person you want to talk to.
  4. You now have that person selected. If you drag a box over multiple people, you select them all.
  5. Tell the person "You've got them" or that "You need a pick up". Don't $#@!ing spam the whole bloody team!
  6. Here's the happy ending - because you clicked on them instead of tabbing their name, you don't have to cycle back to team chat afterwards.

I mean, you're flying towards the person anyway. They're going to be straight in your crosshairs and it really doesn't take that long to click on something in the centre of the screen. And everyone else on the team can focus on what is important instead of having the chat cluttered with Pod Spam Radio™.

This post has been edited by juckto: Feb 7 2011, 09:47 PM

+Quote Post
TurkeyXIII
post May 30 2008, 07:01 AM
Post #33

Group Icon

Group: Supporter

Squad: Mos Eisley Crew

Don't even have to drag a box. Left-clicking while the cursor is that weird yellow target thing works well.

QUOTE (Randall Munroe)
14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute

+Quote Post
Clay_Pigeon
post May 30 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #34

Honk Honk!
Group Icon

Squad: Clay_Pigeon

To demonstrate the effectiveness of this method, I PMed juckto for half of the last game I commanded.

I'm sure he appreciate my not cluttering the team chat.

You're welcome!

"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running

+Quote Post
Dorjan
post May 30 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #35

The Marines' SL
Group Icon

or just press enter, the first few letters of their name and tab, no matter where they are Weee they get the message!

I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?

QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) *
True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.

+Quote Post
juckto
post May 30 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #36

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

My name is Dorjan, and I completely missed the $#@!ing point.

+Quote Post
Exo
post Jun 2 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #37

Using the name/tab method means that next time you go to speak, you are still talking to the same person. Clicking them means you're not. Doing it the keyboard way means you end up spending the whole game just talking to one person, who hears the stupid bing effect each time you speak.

That, I presume, is the second thing that annoys Juckto about that lesson? 1. The teamwide pointless spammers, 2. The plonkers (me included since I am always forgetting) who don't flick back to team chat after a message.

+Quote Post
Dorjan
post Jun 2 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #38

The Marines' SL
Group Icon

Oh...

My bad.

I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?

QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) *
True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.

+Quote Post
juckto
post Jun 4 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #39

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Lesson 9 - Bonnie Tyler Durden

My name is juckto, and I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be first to the fight

... wait. That's not how the lyrics go. And that's not what you should be doing either.

You've all been raised on television to believe that one day you'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, and heroes. But you won't. And it's time you realised that Allegiance doesn't need heroes.

This post has been edited by juckto: Jun 4 2008, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
Weedman
post Jun 4 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

I must respectafuly diasgaree

wHEN papa wed log s in and sees a team fuking up with hvy intcprtos, somebodyh msut satnd up and demnd justic

i stand fo r justis and blood, when yu donts do hvy itnercptrs justis u mak papa weed ANGYR, adn then the enemeis blod drisp from his salavgd mini3 intercptr asz kickn machnie

ned no heroes/? Heors are needde badly, like the cool ocaen breze that calms the sesa, once evry whil a tsumani must mak order in th owolrd, i am captin weedA, wakl in teh gardne of his turbluence

Once engaged 13 and a half Dreg Heavy Ints (at the same time) with an IC Int and emerged in a heavy int with 2 mini 3 and 1 mini dis and all foes destroyed
--- QUOTE (spideycw @ Apr 1 2009, 01:53 PM) Definition of wtfpwn: Weedman in an int

Lordus Weedicus II•Uses TS but can be difficult to understand due to the fact has never been sober•Expert int whore (without non-standard use of strafe buttons)•Gains skill increase when playing with Aarmstrong or former members of TRA•Expert miner D (ability to aim)•Can be trusted to run your economy•One of the half dozen or so game changers•Average Stacker

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th December 2020 - 12:08 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft