Go to Forum Home

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You Suck at Allegiance, A tongue-in-cheek training guide, for newbs and voobs alike
juckto
post Mar 30 2008, 03:29 AM
Post #1

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Group: Supporter+

Squad: Punch Kittens

Lesson Index:
  1. Patience is a virtue
  2. Overboost and You
  3. Missiles miss
  4. Dummies for dumbs
  5. To the left, to the left
  6. Stay on target
  7. The most important button
  8. STFU
  9. Bonnie Tyler Durden
  10. Blaze of Glory
  11. How to pod with pods
  12. Luke, you've turned off your targeting computer!
  13. Look before you leap
  14. Yeah baby, take it all off!
  15. Spray and Pray
  16. Pound it like you mean it
  17. Proxing people

Lesson One - Patience is a virtue

"My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. You do, you're awful, and that's why you're here. Today we're gonna start with something really basic, but for you this is gonna be, like, stupid hard, advanced."

Dropping prox the instant you pass through an aleph

Dropping prox one second after you pass through an aleph

------

For anyone who doesn't recognise the quote, here is the inspirational Youtube video.

This post has been edited by juckto: Jan 24 2011, 08:39 PM

Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
IB_
post Mar 30 2008, 07:10 AM
Post #2

Group: Community Member

I normally wait till at least my screen isn't warped by the aleph any more. Should I be waiting a fraction of a second longer?

This post has been edited by IB_: Mar 30 2008, 07:11 AM

QUOTE (slap @ Oct 7 2009, 01:28 AM) *
good point, I concede.

+Quote Post
ogorass
post Mar 30 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #3

PK side character

Squad: Palidor's Knights

What I do is target the aleph just before entering and watch the distance when on the other side. Drop when I reach 250-300m.

+Quote Post
IB_
post Mar 30 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #4

That seems like effort. I think I'll just stick to ints.

good point, I concede.

+Quote Post
Jonan
post Mar 30 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Also, dropping prox behind the aleph, but oriented correctly is a nice safe way to camp.

My Sig

+Quote Post
Curiosity
post Mar 31 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #6

Group: Member+

The title = 'You s*** at Allegiance'

That title is... discouraging. For me. A n00b. And other n00bs. sad.gif

+Quote Post
CronoDroid
post Mar 31 2008, 04:48 AM
Post #7

Patty Rider

Squad: Steel Fury

Don't take it that way dude! Everyone talks trash about other players. It's part of any game, really. Just use it as a helpful guide to get better.

(Also it's based off a comedic web video called "You suck at Photoshop" if you actually read the thread and saw the link)

06/25/09 18:59:21: Nuke@SysX (Team Lobby): ur the most arrogant person on the planet

+Quote Post
juckto
post Apr 1 2008, 05:04 AM
Post #8

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Lesson Two - Overboost and You.

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. You suck so much that no one likes you, no one wants to be your friend. I'm not your friend, the commander is not your friend, and most importantly of all the Booster button is not your friend. Look, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the reason the Booster doesn't like you is cause of the pounding you give it every night.

Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.

+Quote Post
Weylin
post Apr 4 2008, 05:15 PM
Post #9

The one time I DID drop immediatly is when I suspeceted a stealth HTT to be entering the aleph right after I got through, and since they usually enter from behind the aleph to avoid an eye from anyone exiting the aleph, the prox dropped right away will cover the area behind it.

Otherwise if someone is chasing you through an aleph and are dumb enough to follow, or if you simply need to camp an aleph in defence, then yes, you want to be well outside of it before you drop, but no so far out that they can easily makea 90 turn and hardly take any damage.

This post has been edited by Weylin: Apr 4 2008, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post
juckto
post Apr 4 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #10

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Lesson Three - Missiles miss.

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. It has come to my attention that many of you have failed high school physics, and so I've created some diagrams to explain a few things. Now, if you get bogged down in all the technical details within the diagrams, don't worry. Just ... go have a lie down until your brain stops hurting. We won't notice your absence, I'm sure.

Right Angles.
Targets slower than you.
Targets faster than you.

+Quote Post
Grim_Reaper_4u
post Apr 6 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (juckto @ Apr 5 2008, 12:26 AM) *
Lesson Three - Missiles miss.

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. It has come to my attention that many of you have failed high school physics, and so I've created some diagrams to explain a few things. Now, if you get bogged down in all the technical details within the diagrams, don't worry. Just ... go have a lie down until your brain stops hurting. We won't notice your absence, I'm sure.

Right Angles.
Targets slower than you.
Targets faster than you.

now do a few taking into account
1)(changing) angle of attack
2)(changing) relative speed
3)different missile types (seeking/non-seeking)
4)evasive manouvres

see ya in 2 weeks? wink.gif

+Quote Post
juckto
post Apr 8 2008, 02:09 AM
Post #12

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Lesson Four - Dummies for dumbs

My name is juckto, and you suck at Allegiance. In all the times you've ever launched a dumbfire you've never figured out how they work. You'll just happily sit back and spout "dumbs only work if you're straight behind or directly in front". Well, that's correct, to a certain extent. A sucky extent. Time to stop beating around the bush: Dumbs aim at where the target is. YOU need to aim where the target was.

Leading the target

Trailing the target

This post has been edited by juckto: Apr 8 2008, 02:10 AM

+Quote Post
juckto
post Apr 12 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #13

Professional non-player.
Group Icon

Lesson 5 - To the left, to the left

My name is juckto, and all your @#(!'s in a box to the left. Yeah, I'm kicking you out cause you suck so much. I got a new voob to teach, and he'll be here any minute. I mean, it's not like you're going to understand this lesson. It has 4 seperate diagrams plus explanations, and you've only got room in that skull for, like, memorising squirrel mating rituals.

In this first diagram you see two ships spin 90 degrees, one hold on thrust left and the other not (the middle ship is there as a reference). As you can see, by holding a thrust direction which matches your current movement maintains your speed in that direction quite well.

But juckto, you say, it is to you that the Suck concept belongs; for I can do that with Lock Vector and therefore I are not teh Suck, but tis you (as previously asserted).

Well, I reply, can you do this using Lock Vector?

Why would you do that? Do I have to spell out everything to you? It's cause Dreg miners are a freaking stick, and shooting their ass is like spitting through a straw. As opposed to going after their side profile.

A stick, I might add, which I should use to beat you in the head for not leaving already. I told you, all your @#(! is in a box to the left!

This post has been edited by juckto: Apr 12 2008, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
IB_
post Apr 12 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #14

Targets slower than you.

It looks like hes going the same speed, and not slowing down, he's gonna overboost past the miner or ram it and pod himself.

good point, I concede.

+Quote Post
Grim_Reaper_4u
post Apr 12 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #15

You sure you can keep up with dreg (adv) miners with side thrust in a non-belt faction? I don't know I never really tried but I doubt you can do it for more than a few secs.

+Quote Post
Evincar
post Apr 12 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #16

Squad: System-X

with ints you can, with fighters you don't attack from the side ever

Classifiable up to Trolleomorphism.

+Quote Post
IB_
post Apr 12 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #17

You can attack from the side on IC miners...when they are ripping.

good point, I concede.

+Quote Post
madpeople
post Apr 12 2008, 03:55 PM
Post #18

i have a title
Group Icon

Squad: GB

it doesn't matter what $%& side you shoot at it, as long as all your guns hit it. [if they are not, move to a side where they do, this is assuming you already have the ability to aim]

if you want to be picky, shoot at it from the side which puts it between you and the people who are trying to shoot you

This post has been edited by madpeople: Apr 12 2008, 03:58 PM

+Quote Post
Sushi
post Apr 12 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #19

I didn't think there was any real difference between using vector lock and manually maintaining your velocity using sidethrusters. Am I wrong?

+Quote Post
Evincar
post Apr 12 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #20

Squad: System-X

vector lock uses all your sidethrusters at 100% efficiency to keep up your speed, be it any movement vector or angle with your nose.

(aka: no difference if your movement vector points exactly the same place as your side)

Classifiable up to Trolleomorphism.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th December 2020 - 12:39 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft