The Blood Cellar

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RPS and RTS: missing units in Allegiance

Posted by KGJV, Sep 30 2010, 04:37 AM

I recently reread a great article on RPS system in video games.

When thinking of future evolution of Allegiance (or a future Allegiance...), one immediately think about how to balance the game.

Allegiance uses a Rock, Bigger Rock, Biggest Rock system (also known as tech race) and not a Rock Paper Scissors system like most single player/side RTS games.

And this, contrary to the infamous urban legend that 'tac beats exp, exp beats sup, sup beats tac' aka there is a RPS system.

The confusion is that that RPS aspect is placed at the tech level (tac,sup,exp) instead of being at the unit level (sfs,fig,int).

Each tech path as only ONE main unit (ship) instead of having 3 or more to produce a RPS system with the other techs.

But a RPS system works at the unit level: unit of type A beats unit of type B, B beats C and C beats A. (That a simple RPS system, a much complex system with more that 3 types can be designed).

So a possible fix to Allegiance balance would be to introduce the missing ships to each tech tree so that a real RPS system would be created.

This way no need to try to do the impossible balance "Int vs Fig vs SF" like now. Just make sure every ship type as a counter in a every tech tree. Then leave to the players the choice of which type to use depending on what the enemy uses.

To be continued ...

Comments

notjarvis, Sep 30 2010, 05:49 AM

That's an interesting point Kage.

It's notable that SY is the only "Techpath" to have a selection of role based ships, as opposed to the other techbases just having one "basic" ship and one "Base killing ship".

I suppose to a small extent one could argue some of the RPS nature is how you fit up your ship in the loadout. Especially in Sup where your missile/gun selection can have an effect on your role. But a more radical selection of ships in each techpath would be ........ interesting.

DasSmiter, Sep 30 2010, 10:52 AM

Its certainly an interesting idea. I could see some nice weirdness happening with requiring/encouraging multi teching and such.

FreeBeer, Oct 9 2010, 11:26 AM

Interesting idea. But wouldn't such an approach actually increase the learning curve of the game?

Adept, Oct 22 2010, 01:14 AM

Go on Kage.

Spinoza, Jan 28 2011, 08:30 AM

Dammit, closed the tab and lost my post...

Do-over:
You idea of completeness remind me a lot of some techniques in TRIZ, specifically finding missing components to complete a balanced technical system. Article on law of completeness for TRIZ geeks.

I don't think the missing component have to be ships.
They could be sub-systems like guns/missiles/deployables etc.

For example PP is intended to allow EXP to counter TAC, though of course it's not needed and also it's unbalanced because an int pilot doesn't have to choose between PPs and something else.
A fig pilot can choose between dumbfires to attack a miner and quickfires to attack the defenders but it doesn't really work for various reasons.
Also, the comm doesn't have to choose because these are relatively cheap.

Caveat: I'm not claiming I know how this could work. Just my 2c.

KGJV, Feb 1 2011, 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Spinoza @ Jan 28 2011, 02:30 PM)
Dammit, closed the tab and lost my post...

Do-over:
You idea of completeness remind me a lot of some techniques in TRIZ, specifically finding missing components to complete a balanced technical system. Article on law of completeness for TRIZ geeks.

I don't think the missing component have to be ships.
They could be sub-systems like guns/missiles/deployables etc.

For example PP is intended to allow EXP to counter TAC, though of course it's not needed and also it's unbalanced because an int pilot doesn't have to choose between PPs and something else.
A fig pilot can choose between dumbfires to attack a miner and quickfires to attack the defenders but it doesn't really work for various reasons.
Also, the comm doesn't have to choose because these are relatively cheap.

Caveat: I'm not claiming I know how this could work. Just my 2c.

yeah RPS at the sub-systems level instead of at ships level could word too. good idea.

« Next Oldest · The Blood Cellar · Next Newest »