Printable version of Entry

Click here to view this entry in its original format

POOK'S EVIL LAIR

A Decade Later...

I thought I'd check in. blush.gif

It's good to see that Allegiance is still around. Even if it's not what it once was, I see bits of the "old guard" still posting on the forums, and it looks like there are still adventures to be had.

It's been almost 10 years now since I semi-retired back in 2007, and that's 17 years since I was "+Raider@Alleg" back on the MSN Gaming Zone (which is apparently still a thing, sort of). It's hard to believe anything would have this sort of sticking power, especially for what was essentially a commercial failure that had it's plug pulled 2 years in. The fact that you guys are still here says a lot about the game and even more about the community. My bicorne is off to all of you.

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted, but to be honest I'm not sure I've had much to say anyway. Not sure what pulls me back to you guys, and I'm not sure if I'll play (after all, the ol' cloak the bios scout and drop the prox in front of the charging bomber couldn't possibly still work, could it?), but I did at least want to wish you all well.

While I was here, I fixed my avatar - as it looked like the forums needed a wee bit more Lima. mrgreen.gif

With Warm Regards,
Pook

PS: While no means exhaustive, I thought I'd share a little history / nostalgia with the group. http://imgur.com/a/rzT4F

by: Senor NoirSol on Jan 16 2017, 03:21 PM

I'm senor Noirsol, known as Blacksun in game.

I'm the current head of events, and one of the 3 main vice admins.

I saw your blog post and my heart skipped a bit.

Would you like to participate in an event, in your honour for old time sake?

I'll get solap and the other devs on it as well.

Everyone here misses you smile.gif

And thank you for your contributions to allegiance over a decacade ago. We would not be here because of you smile.gif

I send you my warmest regards and my deepest respect smile.gif

Senor Noirsol

by: Psychosis on Jan 16 2017, 03:39 PM

Hi pookybear,

I am glad to see you are still alive and kicking, it's been a long 10 years and we've lost some good people along the way.

Plenty of us still around and kicking and some of us even grew up and turned into semi-respectable human beings tongue.gif

join up on the discord and chat with us sometime.

<3 PsycH

by: Cort on Jan 16 2017, 04:58 PM

Hey Pook,

Happy to hear you're still alive and well! A forum is not the same when you don't randomly appear in it and leave a single insightful or funnily random post, as you happened to do in the RT forum. smile.gif

For what it's worth, I'd be very happy to sit around the virtual campfire (that is your blog) and listen to stories of old. Specifically, as someone joining in 2004, for me you were just "always there" and I never got around to asking (but was always curious) how you came to take the roles you took back then. How and why.

Much <3,
Cort

by: Pook on Jan 16 2017, 09:39 PM

Hi All,

I'd be happy to join in on an event, but don't really think it needs to be about me. We're 2 months away from Allegiance's 17th anniversary (March 16th) - why not plan something for then? That would give me time to find a PC to play on - can't really install games on my for-work workstation, but I could probably steal the kids' computer. It would also give me a chance to figure out this new fangled keymap I've read about. I used to always fly using a joystick - I think I've got an Xbox controller laying around here somewhere.

I'll keep in touch, and if it comes together, I'll get in there and get killed... a lot. (So, just like the old days)

mrgreen.gif

xoxo,
Pook

by: Dome on Jan 16 2017, 11:29 PM

Much respect for all you did for the game. Cheers Pook! cheers.gif

See you in game soon.

by: Senor NoirSol on Jan 17 2017, 03:54 AM

March 16th is a weekday sadly.
We could do it on the 19th.

I'll speak to the devs and see if they are available that day.

I'll keep in touch smile.gif

by: Picobozo on Feb 6 2017, 11:27 AM

I still have nightmares of the Pookard Maneuver. I still hear the laughter.......

by: Pook on Feb 8 2017, 10:14 AM

QUOTE (Picobozo @ Feb 6 2017, 10:27 AM)
I still have nightmares of the Pookard Maneuver. I still hear the laughter.......

You always remember your first most fondly. smile.gif

For anyone interested: http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32614&st=40&p=126154&#entry126154. That whole thread is full of some great stories.

by: Senor NoirSol on Feb 13 2017, 10:30 AM

Hey pook smile.gif the event's preparations are well under way, you should register with ACSS in order to get the mass email smile.gif
the event will happen on March 19th at SGT.

by: BEER on Feb 21 2017, 09:06 PM

OMG, It's Pook!

by: Globemaster_III on Mar 11 2017, 02:06 PM

Who the *&^%$ is pook smile.gif
OMG doom is kissing arse at pookyman....

This post has been edited by Globemaster_III: Mar 11 2017, 02:12 PM

by: Globemaster_III on Mar 11 2017, 02:09 PM

Can i have your Ban stick NOW ?

by: Pook on Mar 19 2017, 02:55 PM

Hi All,

My apologizes for not making it to the anniversary game. Allegiance simply wouldn't cooperate with me. I could join the newbie server, I could run all the training, but any time I tried to join the anniversary game, it would simply crash.

I tried for about an hour with no luck - I think the old laptop I pulled from retirement was lacking. I believe I read that the new faction introduced in PCore is a little more demanding on video ram?

I hope you all had a good time, and that someone podkilled Globey.

mrgreen.gif

by: Income Boy on Apr 28 2017, 12:42 AM

hey pook
I am glad to see you are still alive and kicking, it's been a long 10 years and we've lost some good people along the way.

Plenty of us still around and kicking and some of us even grew up and turned into semi-respectable human beings .
Regards..
Ankur/incomeboy

by: Papsmear on Mar 16 2018, 08:52 AM

Hey Pook,

!8th Anniversary game is coming up this Sunday.
It would great if you made an appearance.
We'd love to see you.

Regards
Paps

PS: Thanks for posting a link to those banners, I haven't seen some of them in a very long time.
Some of them brought a smile to my face.